1.13.2012

All Hail Kale...

So when I decided to get back into the routine of writing a blog I decided that this time I was going to stick with it, do some research, and make it a sort of work in progress!
In doing that I of course found a few blogs that I loved, that linked me to more blogs that I love, and then even more blogs that I loved.  I am now checking out so many blogs on a daily basis that I am having a hard time with my own.  Have you guys ever seen some of the blogs out there?

SUPER FAB!!!

There was indeed one thing however that has seemed to make its way to almost every blog that I follow...

KALE CHIPS

Okay Okay so now I know what your thinking, she must follow a bunch of health food fitness blogs...

WRONG

I actually don't follow anything of the sort, although there are a few that are super tempting and after discovering how much I love this yummy little SUPER FOOD snack, I just may!! I am actually more of a fashion, DIY, everything uber girly and fun kind of blog follower, but enough about what I'm reading in my spare time and onto...

KALE
The Super Food


Last night while at the grocery store I picked up a bunch of Kale...
and decided that I too would finally try out the Kale Chips.
I had pretty much already convinced myself that it wasn't going to be my thing and that Rusty would think I was crazy (nothing new there)
So after he was off to the gym into the kitchen I went to fix my first batch of Kale Chips

This is the recipe that I followed...
or collaboration of recipes...
(They are pretty much all over the place and all seem basically the same)

Kale (washed, dried, and cut away from the rib)
Olive Oil (I used about a tbsp)
and Sea Salt



First cut all of the Kale away from the rib and then cut it into bite size pieces.  Toss into a bowl and top with olive oil and salt. (I just used a pinch or two of salt but I would say just do as much or little as you want) then spread them onto a baking sheet.  Pre-heat oven to 275
toss in the baking sheet and set timer for 20 min.


( I did stop the timer at 10 min and flipped the pieces so that they would have a consistent crunch)

Ta-Da
You now have Kale Chips!!!
They are Ah-mazing!



(even Rusty liked them- Well he said he could eat them but they def. didn't replace potato chips)
Let's be honest NOTHING replaces potato chips but it is fun to find something so amazingly healthy as an alternative for when your being "GOOD"

Also I decided to add a little twist to a few and add in a little red wine vinegar
because I am a ridiculously huge fan of Salt and Vinegar potato chips!!
These were super yummy too but didn't have the same crunchy texture, they are better for eating immediately or throwing onto a salad maybe :)
(Rusty liked these better)

"Kale, also known as borecole, is one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet."
- WebMD
Read more about why Kale is the super star Veggie here







3 comments:

kenni.holland said...

LOVE THIS! Thanks for the post. I'm convinced my hubby has cardiovascular issues and I'm looking for healthy alternatives that he will like. If you find any other super foods, please post again. Love this cute blog.

Amanda said...

I will indeed post any links to Super food that I can find. Also thank you so much for following the blog its new and something fun for me to play with in spare time. Please keep up the comments and suggestions!!! It's fun and exciting to know you have a blog fan!!!!

kenni.holland said...

Not a problem I enjoy following blogs, and you are very crafty and savvy so makes it even funner :)